Children’s Literature as the Basis for Listening & Language Development
Presentation Description: Reading and listening to stories as a student with hearing loss may be highly frustrating or an extremely enjoyable adventure, depending upon the skills of the teacher. This session will share elements of a story and ways to enhance the auditory comprehension development of the young reader. Participants will be actively engaged in writing objectives for auditory skills development based on the composition and language of individual stories, and coordinate objectives within an auditory learning hierarchy.
Three Learner Objectives: The participant will be able to:
1) Identify characteristics of stories and specific qualities of children’s stories that lend themselves to good listening experiences, listening training, comprehension, and spoken language development
2) Identify 3 elements of a “listening lesson plan” focused on enhancing auditory development based on a children’s story (e.g. acoustic load, cognitive load, level of linguistic processing, level of speech identification, auditory memory)
3) Write 3 objectives for an individual student based on a story choice and the student’s auditory development and educational profile.
Using Children’s Literature as the Basis for Listening and Language Development $24.00 (individual viewers) 1:15 minutes
Once you purchase you will receive an email immediately with a login and password that you can use to sign in any time and view the workshop materials. If you purchase via PO you will receive login information usually within one week of receipt of the PO. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Note: In purchasing the individual viewer version of the webcast you are agreeing to abide by the terms of a limited use license, meaning it is only to be viewed by you or for use by you. It is not legal to share individual webcasts or downloaded files for others to use.
Group purchases are via purchase order. One person must be identified as the contact. Names and email addresses must be provided for all persons who will be registered to view webcasts. Registrants have 300 days from the date of purchase to view the webcasts. Questions? Contact email@example.com .
5 Webcast logins = $18.00 each or $90.00
10 Webcast logins = $15.00 each or $150.00
CEU clock hours: 1.25 CEU Clock Hour can be earned. Each login will allow one participant to take a 3-question quiz which must be passed (3 of 3 correct); two chances are provided to pass. See the assessment questions below. Once the quiz is passed, the participant will be able to download a CEU Certificate of Completion. Forms verifying completion for LSLS CEUs from AG Bell can also be downloaded. CEU information is also downloadable for participants to individually submit for ASHA CEUs .
Speaker Information: Laura N. Peterson, Ed.D., Speech Language Pathologist and Certified AV Therapist
Laura N. Peterson, Ed.D. CCC/SPL, LSLS Cert. AVT is an Educational Consultant, Speech-Language Pathologist, Auditory-Verbal therapist and Itinerant Teacher of the Deaf, with over 30 years of experience in clinical, educational, university, and medical settings. She received her doctoral degree from the University of Rochester (NY) specializing in reading comprehension, child development, and writing strategies of deaf and hearing adolescents. She owns Treatment Options for Families with Hearing Loss and resides in Tega Cay, S.C.
Handouts that Come with this Webcast:
Summary of presentation handout (8 pages)
- For children with hearing loss and typical hearing there are 4 factors that influence their success of reading comprehension. Which of the following is NOT one of these factors?
- Communication Modality
- Rate of Processing Phonemes
- Phonemic Awareness
- Metalinguistic Awareness
- Oral (listening) Comprehension
- In the pre-reading phase of the story comprehension lesson cycle, which of the following is NOT an auditory training activity that naturally occurs?
- Language Comprehension
- Auditory Memory
- Auditory Discrimination
- Which of the following is NOT one of the phases of Story Grammar?
- Main Events
- Story Setting
- Specific Names of Characters
You must get all 3 items correct to pass the quiz. You will have 2 tries. You must pass the quiz before you can download your certificate(s) of participation.